Saturday 29 September 2007

God and the law of attraction

I receive numerous emails every day regarding The Secret, how to apply it, do I agree with it all etc. I received one today from a friend so I thought I would share with you both her email and my response. It follows on from an earlier blog I posted about Christians & The Secret I:

Email received:
Thank you so much for attention to this matter. In one of my emails I asked Dr. Wolf if he was a christian? and he stated that it didn't matter. I believe in the Secret and have shared it with many many people. I believe it would be a benefit to Christian's to hear more about God & the secret. I first want to say that I am a Christian and I love all people and I believe like God everyone has a choice to to worship who and what they want. I personally believe that the LOA taught me that God loves me and it took away the mean vengeful God who I feared and got mad with (like with my mother). It has brought me closer to God then any sermon ever has. Well let me correct that it made me more open to hear the Sermon and to feel God's love.

I would like to hear more about your opinion on God & the LOA. One of his laws. The book that I read called the " the Secret things of God" by Dr. Henry Cloud really doesn't disagree with alot of the secret. I believe that "ALL THINGS WORK FOR THE GOOD OF GOD." and the secret can be used to bring people closer to God. I was first a baptized Catholic & now I am born again and I just couldn't get that God would send Jesus to die on the cross and shed his blood so that we can be miserable. I can tell you most Christians are miserable. If I could just help by expressing that God's love is everywhere and open people up to just being happy then they can really praise God.

My response:
I am a born again Christian and know that God’s desire is abundance for his children … that means abundance in health, money, love, relationships, knowledge, happiness … everything. (Mark 9:23 - Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.")

Jesus showed us many miracles then he said "I can guarantee this truth: Those who believe in me will do the things that I am doing. They will do even greater things because I am going to the Father.." (John 14:12) … so the only thing that stops Christians from healing the sick, raising the dead, walking on water, calming the seas, casting devils out and heaps more is their lack of faith and belief, which is simply a lack of understanding.

God is the giver of all good and has infinite abundance at His command, we as his children suffer in poverty, sickness, loneliness etc because we either don’t ask, don’t know how to ask or simply don’t believe. Jesus said “When you pray, pray believing that you already have it and it will be yours.” (Mark 11, 24) I find through ignorance of this verse and the ignorance of the greatness of our God, many pray 'wanting' rather than already having. For example, a person who is in lack financially will normally pray “God help me, I need some money”; they should be praying like Jesus said as if they already have received it “Thank you God for this abundance of finances that you have blessed me with”and believe it.

The Secret talks a lot about manifesting, it doesn’t explain much about actions. The process of manifesting on the physical plane is always the same: thoughts + feelings + actions = results

  1. Create it in thought;
  2. Turn it over to spirit (Let go and let God);
  3. Expect with all your heart and soul, which means act in accordance to your faith that you already have it.


On another note, Neale Donald Walshe states on The Secret “Your life will be what you create it as, and no one will stand in judgment of it, now or ever.” I’m not sure what Neale means but what I do know is God’s word tells us there is a judgement and that everyone will be accountable for their actions. Through the grace of God Jesus died on the cross as the only sinless man ever, and he took away all our sins so that we could know God’s love and abundance here and now and for all eternity. Those who refuse to accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour here in this life will not enter into the promise of everlasting peace and happiness with God.

That’s my understanding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that "those who refuse to accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour here in this life will not enter into the promise of everlasting peace and happiness with God."
This is one of the many good religions in the world and God is not only Jesus but also Krishna, Maometto, Budda and many others.
The teachings come from many Masters and Jesus was one of them, not the only one.

Michael Murphy said...

David,

I've thought long and hard about the co-relation of Christianity and The Secret/LOA. I graduated from a relatively conservative seminary in the U.S. in 1982. I was a minister in a church of just over 1,000 attendees in Texas for 15 years.

The issue of us being 'one with God' and co-creators with God, is one that I find quite valid in light of what the scriptures tell us.

Though there are volumes that I could share regarding this, I will begin simply by stating that most evangelical Christians (especially in the U.S.) do not understand what the 'original sin' was in the Bible.

The original sin, as depicted in Genesis, was not man's pride of wanting to 'be as God'. I've found that the 'original sin' was that man ever doubted that he was like God to begin with.

Just prior to the passage of man's encounter with the serpent in the garden, Genesis reveals that man was created in the very image (icon) of God. The lie of the serpent was to cause man to 'doubt' that he was already like God.

The apostle Paul wrote in the book of Romans that 'whatever is not of faith, is sin.' So the 'sin' was that man doubted who he was already.

In essence, man was already like God having been created in the very image of God. God had given man dominion and rule over the entire earth. Again, a power that God gave him. The serpent's deception was to make man doubt his own power and who he really was.

Skip over to John, chapter 10. Jesus was being attacked and ridiculed by the Pharisees for claiming that he was the 'son of God'. Jesus' response was, "does YOUR scriptures not say that 'you are gods'?"

The apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:17 that, 'those who have joined themselves with the Lord are one with him in spirit' (on translation says 'one spirit with him).

Jesus said, 'greater works than these will you do because I go to my father.'

David, my father was a postal employee for the United States Post Office. He was a good man, yet he never aspired to be all that he sensed down deep inside. He lived what Thoreau called a 'life of quiet desperation.'

Having authored 4 books and traveled the world several times, speaking and influencing thousands of people, I have achieved far more than my dad did in at least this regard. If my father were alive today, he wouldn't feel that I was being haughty, arrogant or superior to him. He would be proud of my accomplishments.

I think the huge miracle of who we are and how we can use the amazing power of the LOA is that God himself gave us this power. We didn't give it to ourselves. It was and is given to us by God.

I could share and cite tons of scripture that I believe has been misunderstood for a long time in evangelical Christianity. This is one part I think that can be understood with the scriptures in hand.

jeff ninefoxtale@hotmail.com said...

Well in a way i agree with you
The Law of attraction is God’s power and his energy
we ask him and we pray then he gives us what we ask for
that’s why we always ask by affirmations
our faith is our law of attraction
faith.
Faith is believing in what is true. Faith has two elements: 1) being convinced of the truth, being certain of reality, having evidence of unseen things, and 2) believing, hoping in, embracing, seizing the truth.
Heb 11:1 (Wey) Now faith is a well-grounded assurance of that for which we hope, and a conviction of the reality of things which we do not see
Heb 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
It is said in the bible and the bible is the only Truth .
all the wisdom and knowledge that we ever need is found in the bible .
We gotta be careful what we ask for because God listens and he will grant you your very own wishes that you have deep in your heart but all those wishes are not always good for us, that’s why sometimes some wishes don’t come true.

jeff ninefoxtale@hotmail.com said...

Well in a way i agree with you
The Law of attraction is God’s power and his energy
we ask him and we pray then he gives us what we ask for
that’s why we always ask by affirmations
our faith is our law of attraction
faith.
Faith is believing in what is true. Faith has two elements: 1) being convinced of the truth, being certain of reality, having evidence of unseen things, and 2) believing, hoping in, embracing, seizing the truth.
Heb 11:1 (Wey) Now faith is a well-grounded assurance of that for which we hope, and a conviction of the reality of things which we do not see
Heb 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
It is said in the bible and the bible is the only Truth .
all the wisdom and knowledge that we ever need is found in the bible .
We gotta be careful what we ask for because God listens and he will grant you your very own wishes that you have deep in your heart but all those wishes are not always good for us, that’s why sometimes some wishes don’t come true.