Friday 24 August 2007

The Secret & Christians

This may be somewhat contraversial ... however I think it needs to be discussed.

The Secret DVD & Book has done amazing things to lift the awareness of the world in regards to the one of the laws of the universe - the Law of Attraction. I am proud to be part of such awakening and heightened awareness.

The Secret has been put down by many Christians as "New Age" thinking; by others it has been heralded as a major breakthrough that God really does desire abundance for His children. Who is right and who is wrong? Is The Secret really the work of Satan?

When The Secret first came out a devout 'born again' Christian and friend of mine called me up quite concerned. He wanted to know my view on The Secret and where it fits into God's word. I will share with you what I told him ... now understand that I'm by no means an expert on the Bible and interpretation ... I have been reading and studying it on and off for as long as I could read (I'm 44 now!) I still get excited by its message - one thing I am certain of is that EVERYTHING we need to know about how to live and how to think is in the Bible. I can not comment on other spiritual writings or beliefs because I have not studied them.

To understand my viewpoint on The Secret and Christians I will take you back to how The Secret was created.

Some 57 people in Australia and United States were filmed by the producer Rhonda Byrne and her production crew. None of what any Teacher said on The Secret was scripted. We were all asked a few questions separately. Most Teachers were in separate locations around the world. No-one knew what others had said, and many of The Teachers did not know the other Teachers before The Secret came out. None of us were told really what the DVD was going to be about expect that it was the Law of Attraction. No-one knew who was going to end up being on the final cut until after it was completed. There ended up being 24 Teachers from the initial 57 (my figures are approximate), and I am extremely grateful for my small involvement.

Back to the topic ... I believe that the greatest danger when some people watch The Secret is that they think that they are God, in other words they are the creator. The Secret does not go far enough with telling the viewer what or who is the power behind the creation process. Some people will say "I call the creative power the universe", or "I call the creative power universal consciousness" or "I call the power energy", well Christians call this creative, all knowing, always present, all powerful creative power God, Father, Elohim, Jehovah, Lord, Devine Being etc.

Now the Bible tells us in Genesis 1:26 that we are created in the image and likeness of God (our creator), meaning we are 'God like' but it NEVER says we are God. We have the power to co-create with God but not create alone.

Some people watch The Secret and then think all they have to do is visualise what they want and hum and money etc will fall out of the sky into their lap. The bad news is "It Doesn't!" The good news is by understanding, knowledge and ACTION it will. The Bible tells us that Faith without action is dead! (James 2:17)

There is so much more to write about this topic ... but I will leave these thoughts with you for now.

To know more about how to apply The Secret and learn more of how I see it, Click here or go to http://www.thesecret.com.au/howtoapply.html

1 comment:

Denis Towers said...

David,
I am really thankful that you have left your thoughts here on this kind of topic.

I must say I tend to agree with your comments, if you don't mind my saying.
In fact, I think you have put it quite well.
I think we certainly can find our answers in life in Holy writ.
We are created in God's image because He, literally, is our Father - the Father of our spirits. The term, "Father", is not a just a metaphor, as some might believe ... but that's another story.

I hope you have had a second chance to take a look at that book you published for me - which I greatly thank you for - "TWO BIRDS ... ONE STONE".
If you can fathom them, there are actually quite some astounding revelations in that work. I'm sure God will lead you as you search more through it.
I know time is tight for you, but I hope it happens one day.

Thank you once again for your generosity.